FOOTBALL: THE MOST POPULAR GAME
THE BIRTH OF FOOTBALL:
The sport known in the U.S as football came into being in the late 19th century. It was first played in 1869 in North America. Football originated from the combination of two ancient Enligh games rugby and soccer. The first match of the newly developed game was played on November 6, 1869. It was played among the players of Princeton and Rutgers in New Brunswick and New Jersey. They contested by playing soccer-styled football with the rules adapted from the London Football Association.
In the 1870s, some NorthEast American colleges preferred the rugby style of the sport while some took up the soccer-styled sport. Harvard University sticked to the rugby-style game called “Boston Game”. It was in 1875 when the first match was played between Harvard and Yale players in which the YAle players also appreciated the rugby style football.
If you want to know more about football visit our site Baanzean ball and get yourself updated with the latest news related to football. You can check different leagues, and tournaments going on throughout the globe.
FATHER OF FOOTBALL:
The man known as the father of football is Walter Camp. He is the man responsible for the transition of the Rugby style game to the sport of football. He was a medical student at Yale from 1876-1881. Camp served as the captain of the team which was equivalent to the head coach at that time.
Walter Camp was a member of the board that set rules for the Intercollegiate Football Association (IFA). IFA made two innovations to the game, it removed the scrum in the opening of the game and introduced the rule that the team will give up the ball at specified yardage in a certain interval of time. Camp also introduced the rule of having 11 men’s teams, line scrimmage, and the scoring scale used in today’s football.
INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION (FIFA):
Federation international de football association (Fifa) is the governing body of the football association. It is responsible for the governance and organization of all football tournaments in the world. Fifa came into existence on 21st May 1904 in Paris. Its headquarters are located in Switzerland and Zurich.
With the increasing popularity of football, in the early twentieth century, a need was observed to establish an international forum for football that will oversee the rules and regulation of football globally. The Federal Association of football had chaired several meetings to build an international body for the game but they did not perceive any progress. At last, seven European countries came together to create this association. Its founding members include Belgium, France, Denmark, Spain, Netherlands, Sweden, and Switzerland.
BASIC FOOTBALL RULES:
Some basic rules of football were introduced by The Football Association in 1863. The rules follower are:
- Length of Ground: The maximum length of ground should be 200 yards with a minimum breadth of 100 yards.
- Starting of the game: A toss should be made and the winning team should start the game by kicking the ball from the center of the ground.
- Goal: A goal is won by passing the ball between or over the goal posts.
- Touching the ball: If the ball is touched by hand the player who touches it should throw it from the boundary line.
- Carrying the ball: No players of either team should touch the ball.
- Passing the ball: A player cannot throw or pass the ball by hand during the game.
- Taking the ball in hand: No player is allowed to take the ball in the hand during the game.
- Boots: No player is allowed to put on iron plates, projecting nails or heels on his shoes.
- Code of Conduct: No player is allowed for hacking, and the use of hands for pushing opponents is prohibited.
Free kick: If a player catches the ball he is awarded a free kick in which he kicks the ball in any position without any opposition.